Skip to the content


We always take complaints seriously.  If things have gone wrong, we want to ensure we learn from them so that mistakes are not repeated in the future. If you are unhappy with any aspect of your care or surroundings, please talk with the person in charge of the relevant ward or department, such as the modern matron.  The PALS team are also available to help.

We want your stay with us to be the best it can be, so we would prefer to try to resolve any problems as they happen rather than wait until you have left and it is too late. Please click here to find out more about how the PALS may be able to help you resolve any problems early. 

If, having spoken to PALS and the person in charge of the ward or department concerned, you are still not satisfied and wish to make a complaint, please email the Complaints department:​​ (Please note that this email address can be read by all members of the Complaints team)


Alternatively, you can write to:

Chief Executive

University Hospitals of North Midlands

Trust Headquarters

Royal Stoke University Hospital

Newcastle Road



Chief Nurse

University Hospitals of North Midlands

Trust Headquarters

Royal Stoke University Hospital

Newcastle Road


You should normally make your complaint within twelve months of the event you want to complain about, or within twelve months of the date you found out about the problem. We will record any details you provide, and we may share them with appropriate members of staff. This will help us to make sure we deal with any problems fully.

If you make a complaint, we will contact you to confirm the issues, identify the outcomes you expect and agree a timescale for, and preferred method of, response. We will investigate the complaint and respond to you by the method preferred, within the agreed timescale. Our response will tell you about the results of the investigation and any action we plan to take to deal with the problem. You will be offered the opportunity to meet face to face with Trust representatives, either before or after the investigation.

If we cannot complete our investigation within the agreed timescale we will contact you to explain the reason for the delay and agree a new timescale. If your preferred method of response was verbal (by telephone or a meeting) this will be followed up in writing.   

If you are not happy with our response or would like any clarification, we will agree your outstanding issues with you and take further action to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction.

Click here to download a leaflet about making a complaint.​​​

Independent review

If you are dissatisfied with our final response to your complaint, and would like to take the matter further, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS, government departments and some other public organisations.

The service is free for everyone. To take a complaint to the Ombudsman, go to or call the helpline 0345 015 4033. It is important you make your complaint as soon as you receive our final response as there are time limits for the Ombudsman to look into complaints'. 

Contact Address

Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower



SW1P 4QP ​

The Central Office of Information has produced a booklet explaining how you can complain to the Ombudsman. This is available in wards and departments and from the Complaints Department (telephone 01782 676435).

Please click here to view our policy.